SERVER Suggestions for Gangs

Pinch

Staff Member of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
In this thread, I'll be suggesting changes to the existing ways of earning goldstars or totally new ones!

1) Turf Wars:
Currently, we get 10 Goldstars for each territory we capture and 7 for each territory we successfully defend. But, if the territory is undefended, we get 0 Goldstars.
When the gang which doesn't defend is online and they don't defend, it doesn't really do justice to the gang that's attacking. This is one of the reasons there are no turf wars anymore. So here's my suggestion to make it better:

Capturing a new territory from another gang: 10 Goldstars
Defending a territory successfully: 7 Goldstars
Claiming an undefended territory from an online gang: 5 Goldstars
Claiming an undefended territory from an offline gang: 0 Goldstars
Claiming an unclaimed territory: 0 Goldstars

Apart from this, I suggest you to increase the amount we get from turfs per hour and also decrease the amount required to protect it. Let's talk about how it is now.. Protecting 10 territories for 24 hours would cost a gang 12M in cash, for which, what we get in return is about 2,000 per hour which amounts to 48,000. There's no point in protecting territories without getting anything reasonable in return.

This is why I suggest that turfs, besides contributing a little amount of money to the gang vault, should also give 1 Goldstar for every 24 hours it is maintained. This will encourage gangs to protect turfs with money from the gang vault. This will encourage more gangs to fight for territories or at least sneak in when nobody is online to steal territories from other gangs to prevent them from earning goldstars.

2) Businesses:
Businesses currently give 30 Goldstars per week if maintained above 90%. I appreciate this system because it is one way we can earn Goldstars other than DMing or Stunting. But considering the fact that it used to be 50 Goldstars before gives an unfair advantage to the gangs which were started prior to it becoming 30. I suggest a minor change to the current system but it's not going to be easy getting 50 either.

Current System:
90% to 100% --->
30 Goldstars
50% to 89% ---> 15 Goldstars
Below 50% ---> 3 Goldstars

Suggested System:
100% -->
50 Goldstars
91% to 99% --> 30 Goldstars
50% to 90% --> 15 Goldstars
Below 50% --> 3 Goldstars

It's not really much of a change but it could encourage people to be more online since business goods perish within 20 hours, even if it's made full.

3) Stunt Wars
As we all know, stunt war levels were introduced recently based on difficulty. Now, only yellow and red stunts earn a gang goldstars whereas green stunts do not. Considering that every stunt used to give goldstars before, I suggest the following:
Green Stunts - 1 Goldstar
Yellow Stunts - 2 Goldstars
Orange Stunts - 3 Goldstars

4) Wanted Vehicle:
Recently, I noticed that many people do not even care to deliver the wanted vehicle to the required places. This is mainly because most of us already have finished the achievement or just that we don't care about it at all. So, why not make it a little more interesting?
I suggest that for every wanted vehicle delivered by members in a gang, the respective gang earns 1 Goldstar. Considering that there are not more than 3 or 4 wanted vehicles per hour, I think this could be a good way to make it interesting and competitive. This would also be a way for people who are not great in DMing or stunting to hope they get into a gang, as well.

5) Goldpot Streak:
Recently, longest goldpot streak was added into the /top list. We have some of the best goldpot hunters in our server who are still active and always looking to hunt goldpots. So I thought maybe this could contribute some GS to gangs as well.
A streak of 25 goldpots - 1 Goldstar
A streak of 50 goldpots - 2 Goldstars
A streak of 75 goldpots - 3 Goldstars
A streak of 100 goldpots - 4 Goldstars
Just like wanted vehicle, this could increase competition for goldpots and thus make hunting them adventurous and fun.

6) Gang VS Gang in CTF
Save the best for last, eh? Here we go.
Capture The Flag, commonly known as CTF is one of the best minigames of this server, but also one of the least played minigames. The reason remains unknown(at least to me). To increase activity in CTF minigame, I suggest a Gang VS Gang CTF system similar to gang-war system.
One gang is made as Team Red whereas another is made as Team Blue. Let's fix a maximum of 4 members per team because more than that would spoil the game. The gang members online should be able to join using a command like /joingctf when a Gang VS Gang CTF game is initiated by Leaders/Owners of the gang. This would encourage veteran players to also be involved in this minigame and also pave way for good CTF players to get a place in top gangs!
Suggested Reward: 10 Goldstars per win, 5 Goldstars if it's a tie and 1 Goldstar for each flag captured.

I spent a lot of time to think and put this up together so I really hope this effort doesn't go in vain. Also, looking forward to the opinion of all of you guys! Feel free to criticize, support or would be even better if you suggest your preferred changes!

Last edited:

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
1) Turf Wars:
I agree with giving goldstars to gangs that capture turfs from gangs that refuse to defend their turfs. I believe this would make turf wars more popular.
Also, if a gang holds turfs for a long time, it only makes sense to reward the gang with goldstars. Keep in mind that scavenging unclaimed turfs and passively keeping them is quite easy. Honestly, that's how I ensure RacingCards always has a bunch of turfs. Therefore, 1 goldstar for every turf for every 24 hours is a bit too easy. Maybe 3 or 4 days would be a more suitable time period.
what we get in return is about 2,000 per hour
That amount depends a lot on how long the turf has been held for. So the financial side here isn't that straight-forward.

2) Businesses:
Delivering to businesses is easy and uncompetitive. I don't know when the system was changed, but I have a hunch the current system has been around long enough for gangs to compensate for any disadvantage. Overall, increasing the reward for gang businesses isn't a good idea.

3) Stunt Wars
This might be a good idea. I don't have much of an opinion on this.

4) Wanted Vehicle:
If we want players to participate in vehicle deliveries, a goldstar wouldn't hurt.

5) Goldpot Streak:

I like this idea, but how would the goldstars stack? If a player gets a 100 goldpots streak, does their gang get 1+2+3+4=10 or 1+1+1+1=4 goldstars?
this could increase competition for goldpots
Just mentioning that streaks don't increase competition in any way. If there's actual competition, no player will even get a 5 goldpot streak. I'd like some competition in goldpots too, but this suggestion wouldn't help with that.

6) Gang VS Gang in CTF
Capture The Flag, commonly known as CTF is one of the best minigames of this server, but also one of the least played minigames. The reason remains unknown(at least to me).
There are several (possible) reasons actually. First of all, it's a new minigame, only added a few months ago. As far as I know, SFSE is the only SAMP server with this minigame, at least the way it works in SFSE. Add these 2 together and you should realize that players simply aren't used to it. Besides, most of the time the winning strategy is to rush to the opponents' flag and back. Once you've mastered that, there's not much else to do.
Regarding the suggestion itself, it sounds complicated. Given how unpopular CTF is and how difficult it is to find active gang members, gang CTF would be played very rarely. Not worth the effort.

By the way, this topic is kinda on the edge of the new one suggestion per topic rule.

madvillayo

Server Mapper | Stunter of the Year 2017 - 2020
Head Admin
Claiming an undefended territory from an online gang: 5 Goldstars
If I recall correctly, this used to exist, and was extensively abused by discarding your old turfs-> attacking someone's turf who doesn't defend. I think it worked for offline gangs too, though, and gave a higher reward than 5. I can still see that occurring with AFK players etc

edit: not strictly just AFKers either - administrators who get a report and have to investigate.. etc

Businesses section
Rather ironic coming from me considering businesses are how we built our score, but I think our current goldstar "economy" is very disposable and feels unrewarding. With businesses rewarding goldstars, gang score "climbing" is very linear for everyone, which means it's hard to actually overcome top gangs if they're still leasing businesses.. it's unfair. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I've proposed other systems (like gang achievements rather than goldstars) to appropriately "balance" the system and be more kind to new gangs. The goldstar system is just.. very meh

Stuntwar system
All stuntwars used to reward goldstars, it was changed due to a number of factors including a) stuntwar time going from 5->2 minutes, and b) a large amount easier stunts replacing hard ones. There was a point I just removed the difficulty of them all because of the time change being unfair, but again, I suppose anything that can break the "linear" gathering of goldstars is good for as long we have it without changes being introduced.

The rest are cool ideas, especially CTF

Last edited:

Pinch

Staff Member of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
By the way, this topic is kinda on the edge of the new one suggestion per topic rule.
The reason I made it into 1 thread instead of 6 separate threads is that these are all for the same motive - earning goldstars. Making 6 threads on the same day consecutively would have been chaotic, in my opinion. The ways I've mentioned are just examples. You guys might come up with other ways too and this thread could just serve as a thread that calls for changes in the current gang system. I'd like to apologize if this, in fact, breaks the one suggestion per topic rule.

If a player gets a 100 goldpots streak, does their gang get 1+2+3+4=10 or 1+1+1+1=4 goldstars?
My suggestion would be 1+2+3+4=10.. Well, that's upto the owners to decide.

If there's actual competition, no player will even get a 5 goldpot streak.
And that's exactly my point as well. More competitors. Most people don't bother finding goldpots because there are already hunters who know all locations or because they've already gained the Leprechaun achievement. Maybe if finding goldpots is made as a way to earn goldstars for gang, more people would take interest in it.

I think it worked for offline gangs too, though, and gave a higher reward than 5. I can still see that occurring with AFK players etc
Maybe there could be a way to exclude AFKers? Maybe /gangs should show members not in the AFK list and attacking turfs of only those gangs should give the mentioned 5 Goldstars.

With businesses rewarding goldstars, gang score "climbing" is very linear for everyone, which means it's hard to actually overcome top gangs if they're still leasing businesses..
Only the active gangs still maintain businesses. The gang score "climbing" is not linear for all gangs. It is linear only for the active gangs. It's not the #1 Gang's owner's fault that he opened the gang a year or two earlier - it is of course an advantage but it is an advantage that the gang deserves for having been opened earlier than the others.

Given how unpopular CTF is and how difficult it is to find active gang members, gang CTF would be played very rarely. Not worth the effort.
You think it's not worth the effect? The thing is, a lot of effort has been put into CTF in the recent past by our server mappers and eventhough it's really good, the efforts they've put into the CTF minigame are not being appreciated enough. I thought bringing a gang VS gang CTF system would be one last effort to make everyone notice it and give it the attention it deserves.

madvillayo

Server Mapper | Stunter of the Year 2017 - 2020
Head Admin
Maybe there could be a way to exclude AFKers? Maybe /gangs should show members not in the AFK list and attacking turfs of only those gangs should give the mentioned 5 Goldstars.
what about when people afk without tabbing though