SERVER Preventing derby-camping

Akira

Former Staff
Ok, so I have been playing /derby for a good bunch of hours during the last months and came to the conclusion that a particular detail is still killing off the fun despite the game being really amusing:

1. There are several players who just can't seem to avoid standing still at the same place for a long period to get as much less vehicle-damage as possibile, so they could get higher chances to win a normal round or event (in this case, stationary players are very common sadly) by doing basically nothing.

Hence, why not let them move a bit more by a warning on the screen informing that they will be disqualified if they don't drive around reaching at least 10 KM/H within 3 seconds? Of course, it's not up to me what the specific time or KM/H should be, but I suppose they could be given perhaps 2 or even 3 warnings before they are eliminated from the round.

Feedback

I agree but what about if the car stays at 0 KM/H not moving his car/ camping so it will automatically start getting damage untill and unless the car start moving (i dont know if this is possible) but this would be great if the cars get damage if stays at one position they are forced to move their vehicles.

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
I agree that players standing still in derby is a problem. However, eliminating someone from the minigame for not moving for a few seconds is a bit harsh. Players could be eliminated for typing a single chat message. In my opinion, Feedback's suggestion would be better. An example of the potential numbers: for each second a player doesn't move, their car loses 30 health. In this case, it would take 12 seconds of standing still to have your car emitting smoke and 25 seconds of standing still to die.
(1000-650)/30=11,666... ; (1000-250)/30=25 - for those who want the math
kick for idling , great idea
Players that alt-tab are kicked already. The issue here is players that aren't AFK, but rather wait for other players to trash each other's cars and only then start derbying. But you have a point, idling in derby has pretty much the same result as the strategy mentioned above.

i agree also..however i think its illegal warning someone for standing still couple of seconds cause he may experience some technical problems such as high ping or low fps...furthermore rooftops is an area where most of players including me may camp to win a round.

Pinch

Staff Member of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
What if 2 players are going head to head and pushing each other, both probably have less than 10KM/H speed, they would get falsely warned
Valid point.

I second Sulps' idea of reducing vehicle health. Let's have a limit as to when the health reduction begins. Maybe 5 seconds? After 5 seconds, for each second of camping, let the vehicle's health reduce by 30. In that case, even when 2 players push each other head to head, both players will be losing health. It's upto the person with lower health to do what he wants to stop it.

ellie

Web Developer
Head Admin
VIP
Valid point.

I second Sulps' idea of reducing vehicle health. Let's have a limit as to when the health reduction begins. Maybe 5 seconds? After 5 seconds, for each second of camping, let the vehicle's health reduce by 30. In that case, even when 2 players push each other head to head, both players will be losing health. It's upto the person with lower health to do what he wants to stop it.
This seems a more plausable idea if im honest. At least then players will start hitting each other, if not the car blows up and they lose, simples.

Akira

Former Staff
Honestly I'm fine with whatever you guys feel should be implemented to make sure that campers are no longer a thing in /derby. Mine was just an example however, so keep bringing up your opinions.

Clumsy

Honestly, I Agree that we should kick players who idle or just stand around, seeing new players just sit in a corner and do a jinx on us like driving forward when we gonna hit them is a bitch move. Maybe make a script that kicks players who sit idle?

The right thing to do here:
  1. Reduce HP of vehicle if it is not moving (check SEF's script, we had this system there).

To prevent campers as well as players who just stay afk without "esc".